Thursday, January 03, 2013

DIY Thursday #1

This won't always be do it yourself but there will always be something that was made with the DIY-ethic.
I like to sew, knit, paint, draw, cut & paste, draft and craft~
So sometimes I'll show you the steps for a project and you can follow along and sometimes I'll show something I made and the pattern or tutorial I followed and sometimes I'll just show you things I've made so I can brag about it~

For the first week's post I'm going to do something that's pretty easy to replicate with any photo editor that is like Photoshop or GIMP.
It's something that's been done before but it's a useful technique to know and you can do some really crazy things with it if you really try and think outside the box ~(⌒∇⌒ ~)

Here is the photo that will be created with this tutorial

There's a lot of steps and no time to waste so I'll see you under the cut!




First what you must do is take some photos using a tripod  or tape or whatever just making sure that your camera does not move.
Then upload your photos, do whatever editing you want, and open them all in your editor.
Here's my different photos, just all next to each other so you can see that they're pretty similar, I'm just in different spots in them.
Recognize the photo? I had to double use these photos when my original DIY fell through.... Haha~

Next, decide on a photo to act as your base.

Via the Layers window, right-click the Background and Duplicate Layer.
A dialog will popup and you can change the name of the layer if you'd like.

Go to another photo and press Ctrl+A or Cmd+A to Select All.

Then while using the moving tool, or the one selected at the top on the left in the photo below, hold the shift-key and drag the photo with your mouse to the tab at the top for the project that contains your double background layers.

Continue dragging as many photos as you'd like to your working project.

Once you have a few layers we can begin to make the magic happen~*
So make only the background layers visible, like my Layers in the photo below.

Make your first layer visible and select the Eraser Tool.

And you can begin carefully erasing yourself into the photo!

Make the next layer visible and repeat the process~

Here you can see where some poor planning led me to a problem.
Because of too much overlap with where I was standing I have to zoom in very closely and erase slowly.
This process really isn't very neat and tidy but you can make it work through trial and error.

Make sure you click Save As and not save over your original photo!

Make sure you save yourself a .jpeg copy so you can share it with all your pals and a .psd copy so you can always come back and work on it later~


And ~tah dah~
If you try this technique, I'd love to see your attempts! ヽ(´▽`)ノ~*

No comments:

Post a Comment